How to Resolve – Cannot open your Default Email Folder on Outlook?
Oftentimes, you might come across an Outlook error that states – Cannot open your default open folder. It is majorly the corruption issue that can harm the Outlook data files on your mailbox. You will be able to access the PST files only if the OST (offline files) files are properly synchronized with the Microsoft Outlook Exchange Server. Despite, during the synchronization process there are chances for Outlook files to get damaged. The Outlook OST files are easily susceptible to corruptions because of various internal and external threats.
Therewith, whenever you attempt to open a corrupt Outlook file it reports an error that “cannot open default email folder. The file.ost is not an offline folder file”. Now if you are looking forward to fixing the error with Outlook folders then here are some troubleshoot techniques.
Repair and rebuild OST file
You can fix a bad OST file by removing old Outlook profiles if any. You can go to the control panel and follow the instructions to delete the old profiles on the computer. On the other hand, you have an inbuilt utility to fix the corrupt OST files. It is known as SCANOST tool; to run this utility-
- Close the MS Outlook application
- Navigate to drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE 12
- Double click over SCANOST.exe
- Choose the Outlook profile and follow the instructions
- Press on Begin Scan option to initiate the fixing process
Disable Compatibility Mode
Turning off the compatibility mode on your Outlook email profile could help you to get rid of OST error.
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office XX\Outlook.exe
- Choose Outlook.exe
- Click Properties
- Press on Compatibility tab
- Uncheck the option: Run this program in compatibility mode
- Click on Apply button to save the changes made
If at all you are not able to access the Outlook folders then you can use a converter tool; OST to PST. You can easily perform OST to PST conversion all with the help of Yodot OST to PST converter program. Simply launch the utility on your computer – specify the Outlook files for conversion – Hit on Convert button.